James A. McDermid is a creative visionary that we’ve been following for sometime now. With his recent trilogy completed, dedicated to his late sister, Harriet (read more about that here), James opens a few new chapters in the book of his busy diverse life in 2019…
The first, which we’re absolutely thrilled to present to you today: a guest mix, entitled Midnight in Europe.
- Japan | Nightporter – https://www.discogs.com/master/view/74436
- Durutti Column | Smile in this Crowd – http://www.thedurutticolumn.com/shop.php
- Dead Can Dance | Cantara – https://www.deadcandance.com/
- Alphaville | Summer in Berlin – https://www.alphaville.info/
- The Forgemasters | Stress – https://www.discogs.com/master/view/79598
- LFO | New Age – https://www.discogs.com/LFO-We-Are-Back-Remix/release/20821
- Six String Malfunction | Next Time Forever – https://www.discogs.com/Six-String-Malfunction-Kirlian/release/3130437
- Seefeel | Rupt – https://warp.net/releases/succour/
- Mark van Hoen | Real Love – https://medicalrecords.bandcamp.com/track/real-love
- Kaffe Matthews | Advent Herring Part 3 – https://kaffematthews.bandcamp.com/album/cd-ann-2
- Janek Schaefer | Rapid Xativa – https://www.discogs.com/Janek-Schaefer-Pulled-Under/release/117204
- Benoît Pioulard | Corpus Chant – https://pioulard.bandcamp.com/track/corpus-chant
- Beirut | Un Dernier Verre – https://www.beirutband.com/
- Sufjan Stevens | Fourth of July – https://sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com/track/fourth-of-july
As a guest mix should be completely fueled by individual creativity, McDermid took a trip down memory lane to revisit the process of growing up, maybe coined as evoking a sense of pure fun on radiating summer days, or the warmth of spectating a winter snowfall. On the flip-side of things, McDermid visited electronic heroes to the scene like Benoît Pioulard. One such example, Pioulard, is an artist who has gone above and beyond to commit sonic creations and pour emotion into wavy sound — again committing to music making us stronger.
Taking this idea into a full circle, McDermid injected even more of his personal DNA into this project by entwining clips from some of his favo[u]rite films into the mix. Creativity at its absolute best, Midnight in Europe encompasses the feelings and emotions McDermid encapsulates in his own productions. Such emotive value is notated through sonic sound production on his original productions: Ghost Folk [Polar Seas], Tonal Glints [KrysaliSound], Kern-Host [Whitelabrecs] & Sunshine and Dust [Cathedral Transmissions]. Additionally, James’ work can be found on his Bandcamp, which we suggest following him at to stay informed.
Happy New Year from James and AG!